Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis

July 13, 2008 by

victory Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis

To finish our series on the next U.S. president, today’s post will comapre the astrological charts of Barack Obama and John McCain for presidential or “royal” qualities.  We have looked at their horoscopes individually, but now we can compare the candidates’ horoscopes side by side for strengths and weaknesses.  There has been a great deal of debate about the candidates’ real birthtimes; all our posts take the commonly accepted times for the candidates.  If the birthtimes turn out different than those currently known, all bets are off.

Barack Obama’s Horoscope: Presidential Enough?

We have looked at the “royal” characteristics in Obama’s horoscope from two ancient astrologers’ perspectives – that of William Lilly and Guido Bonatti.  Their rules are similar but not the same.  The analyses below sum up the findings from the previous analyses.

Obama’s Strongest Card: The Sun in Leo in the 6th house.  This is not a very strong card, as the Sun is under the horizon and in a malefic house with no major aspects.  The next strongest card is in even worse shape, with Mars, ruler of the 10th house of honor, in the 8th house and trine Saturn in Capricorn in the malefic 12th house.  Most importantly, Obama’s horoscope does not appear to have any prominent royal stars to help lift him to the presidency.  Because of the relative weakness of Obama’s chart, McCain’s horoscope would have to be weaker still for McCain to lose the 2008 election.

Obama’s Horoscope for Autumn 2008: Obama’s Venus will be active by secondary progressions, aspecting his natal Part of Fortune and conjoining the North Node.  This is beneficial in general, but Venus is not one of the significators in Obama’s chart promising fame or prominence.  Interestingly, his solar return for 2008 shows Jupiter in the 7th house of opponents, an interesting parallel to McCain’s 2008 solar return (see below).  Again, the relative strengths of the horoscopes matter: McCain’s horoscope would have to be weaker than this to lose to Obama.

barackobamahoroscope1 Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis

John McCain’s Horoscope: By a Hair?

McCain’s Strongest Card: Two royal stars, Spica and Hercules, are near the Ascendant and Midheaven, but barely within the acceptable orbs.  Still, this is better than Obama’s horoscope, which does not have royal stars.  McCain also has a very favorable (though not strictly royal) star, Canopus, right on his Midheaven.  This star is also conjunct George W. Bush’s natal Sun.

McCain’s natal Mars-Jupiter trine is quite lucky as well.  Mars is in the fortunate 11th house trining Jupiter in Sagittarius in the 3rd house.  This configuration was active by primary direction when McCain was shot down in Vietnam and nearly died.  That itself was not very lucky, but his miraculous survival against the odds certainly was.

McCain’s Horoscope for Autumn 2008:  His progressed Sun trines the Midheaven in January 2008, his progressed Midheaven trines the Moon (ruler of the natal Midheaven) in April 2008, and progressed Mars trines the Moon in October 2008.  The luminaries are not especially strong in McCain’s chart, but the Midheaven itself is.  When the Midheaven is “lit up” by the Sun and Moon, William Lilly says that these promise “great preferment…and shall govern the Common-wealth.”  Mars, again, is a fortunate planet for McCain.  McCain’s solar return has Saturn on the 7th house cusp of opponents, possibly indicating misfortune for his opponent.

John McCain’s horoscope appears to be slightly more presidential and luckier than Obama’s, so assuming the candidates’ birthtimes are correct, McCain has an ever-so-slight advantage over Obama for winning the 2008 election.

johnmccainhoroscope2 Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis

Comments

33 Responses to “Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis”

1. Sheila on July 15th, 2008 4:48 pm

Is there any possibility, astrologically, that neither of these will be elected–that another candidate will emerge from the Democratic convention (perhaps)–or some other upset?

Many people are decrying their choices for November.

Appreciating your analysis,
    Sheila

2. Nina Gryphon on July 15th, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your comment. I suppose that is possible, though rather unlikely. In this election, it may be that the vice-presidential picks will have the deciding charts – the VP with the royal chart may be more likely to win.

If I could counsel the candidates on how to win this election, I would suggest they pick VPs with the most royal chart they can find. From an astrological perspective, at least, it would not make sense for Obama to make Hilary his VP – her chart wasn’t even royal enough to beat him!

3. Gerson on July 24th, 2008 5:34 pm

Dear Nina,
    at first place ,congratulations for your instructive post.I would like to comment that Sirius although not in conjunction with M.C. by longitude(if we use small orb) is culminating in Maccain’s chart(orb 30 ‘) by the ancient method using stars that rise,culminate and set in a certain location,in the last years popularized as “Paran method” by the work of Bernadette Brady. There’s also a powerful conection between Maccain’s chart and the Sun of USA’s national chart(04/07),Sun is conjunct M.C.
    All the best
    Gerson

4. Nina Gryphon on July 24th, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi Gerson,

Thanks for your fascinating comment. I haven’t worked much with parans, but have heard good things about them from those who have.

Sirius, the Greater Dog, is interesting. Roger Federer has Mars, so important for a sportsman, conjunct Sirius by longitude. While not a royal star, it sure has worked for Federer, despite Mars being in fall. Vivian Robson says of Sirius culminating: “High office under government giving great profit and reputation.”

Congratulations are a little premature on this analysis, but I greatly appreciate your kindness nonetheless!

5. Alma on August 5th, 2008 2:50 am

I just hope you are wrong. I do not think I can stand 4 years of spiritual oppression like the past 8 years. God we need some air!
    I for one will vote Obama no matter what. More than a democrat or a republican we need to vote for the light rather than to prolong this darkness.
    My studies are not as bad as this one, but I guess there are several ways to read things.
    Thanks for your work.
    Alma

6. Nina Gryphon on August 5th, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Alma,

Thank you…I think. :)

There are indeed several ways to read things, as you say. Ultimately, we have two contenders with not-very-royal charts, but one of whom will win the presidency. It’s a fine line to draw, but if the published birth times are correct, McCain’s chances are just a little better than Obama’s.

Good luck to us all.

7. Luther on September 3rd, 2008 6:29 am

Would it be possible for you to do a similar in-depth analysis on both of the VP picks? How does Sarah Palin’s chart compare to Joe Biden?

Palin is not getting much good press, and it appears (at least, on the surface) that the public does not approve of her as a qualified candidate. I sense that she has several afflictions in her chart. Could you do a review?

8. Luther on September 3rd, 2008 6:40 am

I have given much thought to your analysis, particularly the 7th houses (Jupiter in 7th House of Obama, and Saturn in 7th House of McCain).

I just do not see that McCain would be attributed, astrally, as a ‘Jupiter’ type of character…especially not now. I am thinking that the race will boil down to the VPs and Joe Biden is the ‘Jupiter’ personality that is being reflected in Obama’s 7th House. And Palin is the ‘Saturn’ character that will hold McCain off from winning the election.

I feel that the 7th houses for each candidate are showing us, in this case, how each candidate’s VP picks are going to affect their chances to win.

What do you think?

9. Luther on September 3rd, 2008 6:46 am

Has anyone noticed that Barack’s natal Jupiter will be conjoined to the Sun on the day of inauguration? (Jan 20, 2009 @ 12:00 noon, Washington, D.C.).

I think that’s a good sign that he will win and be inaugurated.

10. Nina Gryphon on September 3rd, 2008 8:52 am

Hi Luther,

A comparison of the VP charts would be interesting, wouldn’t it? Do we have accurate birth times for them? I haven’t yet seen any.

The 7th house traditionally rules opponents; VPs, as supporters, would be found in the 2nd house of resources. Also, please note that I did not say that McCain IS Jupiter. Jupiter is the Great Benefic which helps the 7th house representing McCain. Similarly, Saturn is the Great Malefic which harms the 7th house of McCain’s solar return – the 7th house representing Obama.

Anyway, this is a very close race, and will be fun to watch.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

11. Luther on September 3rd, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Nina, I know you didn’t mean that (McCain = Jupiter). I was just explaining my theory and meant that independently of your report. I think the birth times are available out there. I saw on another site this morning that Sarah Palin was reportedly born at 4:40pm…according to a close friend of hers. Not sure about Joe Biden, but it MUST be out there somewhere!! :)

12. Nicole on September 5th, 2008 3:42 pm

Has anyone noticed transiting Uranus is conjunct Obama’s ascendent exactly in November 2008? I think he will take it.

13. Nina Gryphon on September 7th, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Luther,

Yes, indeed. If you hear of any birth times out there, let me know :)

14. Nina Gryphon on September 7th, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Nicole,

Perhaps. Uranus can be disruptive as well, so it can manifest either way.

15. MC Griffin on September 7th, 2008 6:06 pm

Isn’t Barack Obama
    s north node conjunctRegulus in the seventh?
    How royal could one get?

16. Marie Chesleigh on September 8th, 2008 10:23 pm

Using the morning chart for the USA with 23 Aquarius & Moon 18 Aquarius I notice Tr. Neptune is now transitting to and fro over the Midheaven. Going back to the Sept.11, 2001 Attack Tr. Uranus was conjunct this Midpoint. Now with Neptunes’ transit one can see all the flooding in different states and the glamour, uncertainty and some scandal re the elections. The MC relates to the Government and destiny. Are there other Astrologers who can actually see this, would like to share. Marie

17. Nina Gryphon on September 9th, 2008 8:18 am

Hi MC,

I would feel better about it if there was a key planet conjunct the NN and Regulus. NN is just an abstract point, it’s not a planet, and it is considered most definitive if the Asc, MC, their rulers, or the luminaries are on fixed stars.

18. Nina Gryphon on September 9th, 2008 8:25 am

Hi Marie,

I haven’t examined the chart you speak of, but your observation sounds interesting. But aren’t the elections always all glamour, uncertainty, and scandal?

19. Marie Chesleigh on September 10th, 2008 2:55 am

You have a point re the uncertainty etc. re elections, but with Neptune coming back to the Midheaven exact on 4th Nov. the influence will naturally be more powerful in the coming months. Don’t forget the recent floods. Also there are others factors like Oil for example that will come to the fore. Sarah Palin has Tr. Neptune conjunct her Sun, as her Sun is on the USA MC which does put her in a prominent position. I have the article on the morning chart and can send you a copy if you wish. Much research has gone into it. Watch the news ahead for more Nepune influence.
    Kind thoughts,
    Marie Chesleigh

20. Patti on September 14th, 2008 12:45 pm

On the premise that history repeats itself, we stargazers might learn something from the election of 1920, a turbulent year in general and the last time an election involved Saturn in Virgo opposing Uranus in Pisces. The electorate was fed up with Democrat Woodrow Wilson and thus elected Republican Warren G. Harding, considered a charismatic candidate. This presidential election was the first in which women were permitted to vote, and Harding supported women’s suffrage but had very hard-nosed business policies that adversely affected the middle and working class. He also had, as I recall a historian noting, a mistress who was hidden away in Europe by Party operatives during the campaign. His wife was ambitious and very supportive of her husband but predicted tragedy upon his election. He fell ill and died while the couple were travelling out West during his third year in office. Had he lived, he was facing the consequences of scandal in his administration, especially its connection to the Teapot Dome Scandal.

I predict a major scandal for this election, going by the explosive aspects of Election Day and the moon in the last few minutes of Scorpio at the time the oath of office is to be taken, high noon in Wash. D.C., on 1/20/09. The moon passes over Sen. Biden’s stellium in Scorpio that morning, giving him a transiting new moon. That seems to indicate a new beginning, but where it’s going, given the moon at the time scheduled for the oath to be taken, I have to wonder. I believe the last Saturn-Uranus in Virgo and Pisces during the four years is in 2010 – a change at that time? I agree that the Vice-Presidential candidates may be the make-or-break factor given their charts. Will Biden be president before the term is over? Comments welcome.

21. Jonathan on September 17th, 2008 4:24 am

Sara Palin was born 11 February 1964, at 7:06am PST, in Sandpoint, Idaho.

Joseph Biden was born 20 November 1942 at 8.30am EST, in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

22. Nina Gryphon on September 18th, 2008 8:23 am

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for sharing that. Where are these birth times from? I have also seen 4:40 pm for Sarah Palin; unverified, of course.

23. Nina Gryphon on September 18th, 2008 8:25 am

Hi Patti,

I love it when astrologers have a solid grasp of history – it really enriches the discussion, so thank you for that.

Major scandal, eh? Interesting! It sounds like you are implying that Obama will become president, but will step down due to scandal. Interestingly, Biden has some royal stars in his chart, though Obama does not.

24. Veronica on September 22nd, 2008 4:57 pm

Greetings to everyone! I’ve been seeking a discussions with other Astrologers. In reviewing the past post, I am not getting this royal star theory. Isn’t Obama “royal” naturally born under the sign of Leo? Veronica

25. nikita on September 23rd, 2008 1:45 am

i was trying to explain that there is a posting that obama’s birth certif is out on neptunecafe.com i posted that it was 7:24am but when i clicked back to
    verify. i was wrong it’s 7:24pm NOT am

26. Nina Gryphon on September 23rd, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Veronica,

Well, it’s probably a bit more complicated to say that Leos always rise to positions of power. Statistically, we haven’t had more Leo presidents in the U.S. The concept of royal stars is like poker – if you have more of them conjunct a key point in your chart than your opponent, you win the prestigious position. William Lilly discusses this in the natal volume of his Christian Astrology.

27. Nina Gryphon on September 23rd, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Nikita,

Thanks! I don’t have his data in front of me, but I believe that the chart above is for 7:24 pm.

28. Veronica on October 3rd, 2008 10:57 pm

Is there other (current) research besides Lilly in this regard?
    I wonder about the accuracy of these birth times, have they been rectified? Are we assured of any of these birth times, esp Obama, whose mother is no longer living to verify the time. Birth certificates, in my experience need some validation (one had a am birth and it was pm) , or major chart rectification. I know Mountain Astrologer had birth times but..well you see where I ‘m going.

Veronica

29. Nina Gryphon on October 19th, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Veronica,

Depends on who is doing the rectification. I agree with you about the birth certificate validation, as well, but we must work with what we have. Another reader alerted me to McCain’s BC being available publicly, with a birth time of 6:25 pm, nowhere near the 9:00 am time available when I did this post.

30. kristy on October 19th, 2008 1:51 pm

It seems like McCain’s chance of winning is very slim. All the polls are showing an Obama lead. What do you think?

31. Nina Gryphon on October 19th, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Kristy,

You are definitely right that the polls look favorable for Obama. That said, they looked awful for McCain winning the primary earlier this year, and yet he won it. I would not discount him until the last vote is counted.

A new birth time has surfaced for McCain, and I will write on that this week. It improves McCain’s chart for victory, if anything.

We live in interesting times.

32. kristy on October 23rd, 2008 2:05 pm

thanks for your quick response. And yes, you’re right ,this is a very interesting time. I look forward to your next article.

33. kristy on October 24th, 2008 4:43 am

I don’t have a formal education on Astrology but the subject interest me very much. You and probably just a couple are still predicting a John Mccain win. Some of the website I’ve visited in the past changed their prediction as the election becomes closer. I sincerely appreciate your time.