Where Was Barack Obama Born? Under a Presidential Star?

July 6, 2008 by

kingnapoleon Where Was Barack Obama Born? Under a Presidential Star?

Barack Obama may have been born in Honolulu, but the question astrologers everywhere are asking is whether he was born under a “royal” star, that is, whether his horoscope is sufficiently “royal” (or presidential, here in the U.S.) for Obama to win the 2008 election.

Two days ago, we examined Obama’s horoscope by the criteria of the astrologer William Lilly. Today, we will look at Obama’s horoscope using the criteria of medieval astrologer Guido Bonatti, who knew a thing or two about the horoscopes of kings and warlords.

Was Barack Obama Born Under a Royal Horoscope?

barackobamahoroscope Where Was Barack Obama Born? Under a Presidential Star?

Bonatti’s Criterion 1: What is the condition of the Sun, the 10th house and its ruler, and the Part of the Kingdom (I used Asc + Moon – Mars, as per Bonatti’s tract on Arabian Parts), and the ruler of the Part?

Obama’s Horoscope: The Part of the Kingdom in Obama’s chart falls at 28.50 Libra, so it is square Saturn in the 12th house, and ruled by Venus in the 5th house. None of the planets named are angular, which is an important condition for kingship. The planets should also be strong by sign and/or aspect from benefics. Only the Sun qualifies, as it is in Leo, but it is in the malefic 6th house and therefore underground. We do have Mars, ruler of the 10th house of honor and dignity, in the 8th house. Mars trines Saturn in Capricorn; but Saturn is retrograde and in the 12th house, so it is not going to be able to contribute much to Mars.

Bonatti’s Criterion 2: For the above planets, the oriental ones should aspect the Sun and the occidental ones should aspect the Moon and Saturn.

Obama’s Horoscope: None of these conditions are true for Obama, but one: Mars, which is occidental in the chart, does aspect Saturn.

Bonatti’s Criterion 3: In addition to the above planets, we must examine the almutens of the 10th and 1st houses (in Obama’s chart, those would be Mars and Saturn, respectively).

Obama’s Horoscope: Both Mars and Saturn are in malefic houses, the 8th and 12th. They aspect each other by trine, which is somewhat helpful. Saturn is in its own sign, which makes it more benefic, but it is retrograde, indicating some kind of flaw in Obama’s attempt to seek the presidency. Retrograde planets “shoot in the wrong direction,” as it were; the native has the right idea, but there is a fundamental problem in acting on it.

Bonatti’s Criterion 4: Angular benefics above the horizon should aspect the Sun and Moon, or a planet in the 10th, preferably with reception. The luminaries should be in masculine signs, with the planets named in Criteria 1 and 3 in good condition.

Obama’s Horoscope: Obama does have benefic Jupiter above the horizon trine his Moon (the same Moon that is in the general vicinity of the royal star Aldebaran), though there is no reception between them. There are problems, though; Jupiter is in the malefic 12th house, and it is retrograde, so it is unclear how much benefit it can bestow on the Moon. Moreover, in Obama’s chart, Jupiter has greater signification regarding Obama’s wealth than his career.

As with Lilly’s methods, Bonatti’s criteria show that Obama’s horoscope does not really scream “President”, but as mentioned before, his chart must be compared to McCain’s in order to see who holds the best cards for this year’s Presidential election.

Stay tuned: We will subject McCain’s horoscope to the same dissection as Obama’s this coming week, with a final comparison of the two charts for presidential potential.

Comments

12 Responses to “Where Was Barack Obama Born? Under a Presidential Star?”

1. Kensuke Hoshitani on July 7th, 2008 3:19 am

Thank you for an excellent post.

Let me make sure if I understood right.
    It is my understanding that, according to Bonatti, the Part of the Kingdom (pars regni) is Asc + Moon – Mars by day, and ASC + Mars – Moon by night.

You regard the Obama’s natal chart as a day chart since the Sun is just below the horizon?

2. Nina Gryphon on July 7th, 2008 6:12 am

Kensuke-san,

Thank you for visiting. Yes, that is how I read the Part of the Kingdom also. Well, one of the three pars regni that Bonatti describes.

I regarded Obama’s chart as a day chart, because it would still have been light with the Sun just under the horizon. I was taught to consider the chart a day chart if one could “distinguish a black and white thread in the light.”

3. Kensuke Hoshitani on July 7th, 2008 7:52 am

Thank you for explaining it so clearly.
    I’m looking forward to seeing your comparison between Obama’s and McCain’s horoscopes.

4. Gryphon Astrology Blog » Can John McCain Become President? Another Look at His Horoscope on July 11th, 2008 6:41 pm

[...] Interestingly, this election year does not have a clear winner from an astrological perspective. Barack Obama’s horoscope is equally finely balanced.  We long for the days of Bill Clinton, whose horoscope broadcast [...]

5. Gryphon Astrology Blog » Who Will Be the Next U.S. President? An Astrological Analysis on July 13th, 2008 6:31 pm

[...] our series on the next U.S. president, today’s post will comapre the astrological charts of Barack Obama and John McCain for presidential or “royal” qualities.  We have looked at their horoscopes [...]

6. Beth Turnage on August 2nd, 2008 10:34 am

Nina,

I think you have inspired me to take a horary course.

Peace,

Beth

7. Nina Gryphon on August 2nd, 2008 3:37 pm

Dear Beth,

Cool! My plan is working! :)

Feel free to email me if you want to talk about the different horary courses out there.

8. Kathryn on August 5th, 2008 2:50 am

Fascinating as always Nina. Just wondering how does Queen Elizabeth’s chart measure up against these rules?

For someone who was born not expecting to be Queen,and has had such popularity and longevity, if the rules can be applied and trusted then she should have most of the significators you mention and the time is precise. 21st April 1926 02.40am London

I see the Sun of Barack and the Moon of the Queen have the same antiscia and C Antiscia 17 Taurus/Scorpio – coincidence or any significance in your opinion??

Warmest wishes

Kathryn

9. Kathryn on August 5th, 2008 3:31 am

PS. Maybe shoudl add Nina that I’m recognising that you’ll always get the same antiscia points when two people have planets at the same degree, I’m referring more to the coincidence and that 17 Scorp/taurus (18 Scorpio exactly) is Obama’s MC/IC if one uses equal house

10. Nina Gryphon on August 5th, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Kathryn,

I have never looked at Queen Elizabeth II’s chart, so I cannot comment on your question.

However, and I tried to say this repeatedly in my series on Obama and McCain, that one does not need most of the royal indicators; one just needs more than one’s opponent.

Elizabeth II became Queen because her uncle abdicated and her father became king. It’s really her father and uncle’s charts we would compare for royal indicators, not Elizabeth II’s. She was next in line after her father, and became regent accordingly.

Since I have not looked at her chart, I am not sure about the meaning of the 17 Taurus/Scorpio conjunction, but it is interesting.

11. Arash (male) on December 3rd, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi Nina!

I’m from Iran.I did recently found here andI found your describes very fantastic and helpfull.
    In case of Horoscope of Obama, I think Summr time is missed, don’t you?

I’ll be back.
    Good Luck!

12. Nina Gryphon on December 4th, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi Arash,

Thanks for visiting. Have you checked out my series on the astrology of Iran?

I’d like to hear what you think.

On Obama’s birth time, I’m not sure that Hawaii had daylight savings time when he was born. I haven’t investigated that yet, though.