Planets in Your Horoscope: Jupiter Retrograde on April 6, 2007

March 13, 2007 by

stladislaus.jpg

Jupiter goes retrograde for a few months at a time, as it is such a slow-moving planet. Any planet is somewhat afflicted by backward motion, since the idea is that it is against its nature. If you’re planning anything Jupiter-related, you will want to wait until August 8, when Jupiter goes direct again.

As an example, if Jupiter rules your fifth house of creativity, and you are waiting for the right time to start your novel, doing it while Jupiter is retrograde is probably not the best time. To a lesser extent, Jupiter-type activities are not going to be at their best either. Court or legal activities in general, or the pursuit of higher knowledge or education, is probably not the thing to begin at this time.

Throughout most of Jupiter’s retrogradation, Saturn will continue its trine to Jupiter. This is another negative influence on Jupiter, since Jupiter is the planet of expansion and good, while Saturn is the planet of restriction and limits. As a result, here’s yet one more reason to postpone (or accelerate) activities having to do with Jupiter. If you absolutely must act during this time, take heart in the fact that Jupiter is still passing through its own sign, Sagittarius, and as a result, will enable you to get positive results regardless. It’s just that it won’t be quite as glowingly wonderful with the two parking brakes represented by Saturn and the retrograde motion.

–If you are interested in the effects of Jupiter retrograde on your natal chart, you may wish to get a private natal reading with Nina Gryphon.¬† Details are at Nina’s astrology readings webpage.

Comments

15 Responses to “Planets in Your Horoscope: Jupiter Retrograde on April 6, 2007”

1. Magwitch on March 13th, 2007 10:40 am

Well that’s put a damper on things. I have a building extension on my house due to start soon and was also considering starting a new distance learning course. I really should dig out and re-visit my natal chart and see what’s what. On the other hand, maybe I’ll just take the next few months off.

2. FS on March 15th, 2007 4:47 am

How on earth can you consider Saturn trine Jupiter to be “negative”.

When in positive aspect to Jupiter, ‘Luck’ tends to be constructive and have lasting effects.

Given that both planets are now in such positive signs and Jupiter is in its sign of rulership (where it is very happy), I believe your interpretation could be a bit more upbeat.

3. gryphonastrology on March 15th, 2007 7:42 am

Hi FS,

Unfortunately, Saturn in Leo (and rx to boot) is in the sign of its detriment. So the Great Malefic in detriment, retrograde, is highly nasty. So its badness detracts from the goodness of Jupiter, which, as you correctly note, is currently strong in its own sign of Sagittarius.

I wish I could be upbeat as you suggest…but I guess that’s the price of accuracy in astrology.

Warmly,

4. ROBYN on March 15th, 2007 12:19 pm

what does it mean that both Saturn and Jupiter are in fire signs?

5. Lonnie on March 15th, 2007 5:35 pm

6. Michael Barry on March 17th, 2007 6:53 pm

FS,

In traditional astrology, Saturn is the heavier planet so it will dominate the Jupiter whereas the modern interpretation would look at them as equal. (or maybe even place more emphasis on Jupiter…yikes)

In my experience of real life I have found that one can expand or grow (Jupiter) so much in a short period of time (Saturn) in a particular area that there existing structure (Saturn) can not handle the growth. (Think instant success, lottery winners, celebrities, or inheritance) This is not beneficial because the person does not understand the meaning of time (Saturn). The process of seasoning through experience (Saturn). They have the result but because they missed the process, they do not understand how to handle their current state. Real growth cannot exist without limitation.

Conversely, if there is too much limitation (Saturn) then it can be difficult or impossible to grow (Jupiter) beyond the existing structure. (Think really difficult situations, ie: Homeless). There are too few options or maybe only one path and its not optimal.

I think the heavier emphasis on Saturn is a wiser approach. Saturn is much more difficult to deal with than Jupiter. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Btw I recently read the book, The paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz. This book clearly demonstrates what happens when Saturn is neglected.

7. Eme Kah on March 19th, 2007 12:20 pm

I loved that post, Michael Barry. I never thought about Saturn that way before but it makes so much sense.

8. Ana on April 4th, 2007 4:59 am

I read somewhere that Saturn turns direct again on April 19, 2007. Will that help ease some of the pressures of this transit?

9. neuroism on April 5th, 2007 9:43 pm

Yes, no wonder it’s all been out of whack lately. Thanks for this.

10. Katharine on April 12th, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi it seemed to me that the question How does Jupiter going retrograde affect you if your natal Jupiter is also retrograde? was not answered…
    Is it a more favourable time for people with Jupiter retrograde

11. Dana Huffman on April 18th, 2007 9:21 pm

04.18.07
    Yes. Nicely explicated, Michael (Barry). Appreciated and learned from your keen and nuanced interpretation.
    Question:
    Would not the Saturn rx (and rx, to boot, in Leo, the sign of its detriment– thanks, Nina!) PLUS the Jupiter rx constitute a potential dose of “doubled malefic whammy”?
    I know we make our own choices, and thereon hinges our “fate”, but could it be that given certain astral conditions, conjunctions, aspects, etc., we are more susceptible, vulnerable — sorta momentarily “astroimmuno-compromised?”
    I’m a Sadge-Cap-Virgo (12.14.46, San Diego, CA) and this past month I’ve sustained “losses” — through mental, spiritual lapses — so many so, Michael (Barry) your reflective words about “process” and Saturn’s stern lessons — I feel like I now SEE where my “homework” lies — also as a result of “rags to riches”, of a sort.
    Not purposely cryptic, but I felt compelled to google “2007 Jupiter Saturn retrogrades” and here I landed.

Glad to have read you all!
    Good evening, from Oakland, CA.

Dana

12. Hannah on April 20th, 2007 1:43 pm

Does anyone know whether getting married with Jupiter retrograde is considered a bad idea?

13. gryphonastrology on May 7th, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi Hanna,

I don’t think it’s necessarily bad…unless Jupiter rules one of your marriage houses (either yours or his). Whenever one gets married, something or other is bound to be rx, so don’t stress about it too much.

Warmly,

14. Terre on August 6th, 2007 9:14 am

Nina,
    Can you describe the positive shifts that should happen once Jupiter comes out of retrograde on Wednesday. I’m hoping that this stagnate feeling is going to lift. Will it?
    Thanks,
    Terre

15. gryphonastrology on August 6th, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi Terre,

Yes, I wanted to write something on this. Though I wouldn’t expect a major effect on individuals. Transits are just that…transitory, compared to many other astrological/astronomical events.