The Seven Planets and the Seven Deadly Sins

March 10, 2007 by

Portrait of Young Man

The weakest planet in a natal chart will typically show us to which of the classical “Deadly Sins” one is the most prone. For many of us, we will have more than one such planet, or at least a very bad planet connected to peregrine planets which can be easily influenced by their bad friends. Let us look at Justin Timberlake’s chart again:

Justin Timberlake Horoscope

Earlier, we looked at his natal Sun, and determined that it was very afflicted due to its position in Aquarius, the sign of its detriment. Also, it was afflicted because it was in the sixth house of illness, a traditionally malefic house. The trine to the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in Libra was probably not helpful, not the least because Jupiter and Saturn are in the fall of the Sun. However, I do not think that the Sun is the biggest problem for Timberlake. I would bet that his biggest challenge is his Mercury in Pisces in the seventh house of partners and other people. Because the Sun is stashed away in a cadent house, it cannot act very strongly. So it may be a baddie in this chart, but it cannot exercise its influence.

However, Mercury is in its detriment and fall in Pisces, and it is angular, so it is well able to cast its negative influence over Timberlake’s life. No other planet seems particularly able to help it, or keep it in check, certainly not by aspect, though it may experience some help from Jupiter, due to their mutual reception (triplicity and sign). The challenge here is that Mercury is the only angular planet in Timberlake’s chart, so it will pop up again and again in all areas of his life. Most likely, it will describe Timberlake’s partners, and we can assume that his relationships will not be particularly easy as a result.

Taking a big picture view of the chart, Mercury’s deadly sin is envy. Seeing it in the seventh house gives us the sense that there is a strong tendency here to constantly compare oneself against other people, and focusing on what others have that the native does not. The reception with Jupiter, ruler of the fifth house, shows that this tendency is what drives Timberlake’s creative side to some extent. In that sense, it is a positive and productive expression. However, Mercury being as weak as it is here will not give us a great artist, though it certainly may produce a successful one. The royal star Regulus on the Ascendant does not hurt in this respect.

We can do this with any horoscope, so here’s the list of the deadly sins associated with each planet. When the planet is weak, the associated sin will most likely be an important obstacle that the person will have to surmount.

Saturn — greed

Jupiter — gluttony

Mars — anger

Sun — pride

Venus — lust

Mercury — envy

Moon — sloth

—Readers who are interested in a natal reading from Nina Gryphon may contact her via her reading requests form.

Comments

12 Responses to “The Seven Planets and the Seven Deadly Sins”

1. SoCalGal on March 10th, 2007 2:58 pm

Here’s another question– What wins when you’ve got malefics and benefics combined? For example: My Jupiter is in Pisces, its ruler, but in the 6th, a malefic house. Would it then fall to Jupiter’s aspects to determine its influence? Perhaps you could answer with some examples… Thanks again! Your site is great! SCG

2. Chris on March 11th, 2007 8:58 am

Reading this topic we all aks ourselves a lot of questions. What about the 9th house and the Sun there in Aries conj. Mars in Aries burning by the Sun. But the Sun also in his joy? I wonder why the Sun in house 9 is in its joy? And why is Saturnus in its joy in the malefic house 12 ?

3. gryphonastrology on March 11th, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Chris,

I have no idea what you are saying, but I think you’ve got the wrong chart. The Sun is not in the 9th in this chart.

Warmly,

4. Christine on March 12th, 2007 5:32 pm

Hey, Nina – I believe Chris is providing a hypothetical example of a placement that has strong and weak elements: imagine the Sun in 9 (in its joy) in Aries (in its exaltation) conjunct Mars in Aries (so Mars is strong, but combust). I don’t think Chris is referring to Timberlake’s chart. Then the second part of the comment is more about the planetary joys in general.
    Best,
    c.

5. gryphonastrology on March 13th, 2007 8:10 am

Hi Christine,

Thank you for explaining that. I guess I would say that a planet in its own sign is immune to combustion, with the planetary joy adding some strength to the planet.

Warmly,

6. Chris on March 13th, 2007 2:25 pm

Thank you Nina, thank you Christine, it was indeed a hypothetical example and I was also wondering why some planets are in joy in specific houses. I understand Venus in 5, but for ex. Mars in 6, the Sun in 9 and Saturnus in 12… got a lot to learn yet but its all very interesting.
    Love, Chris

7. gryphonastrology on March 13th, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi Chris,

I see; thank you for clarifying. I think John Frawley discusses the joys in one of his books, I think it was The Real Astrology, and why the planets like the specific house they joy in.

Warmly,

8. Chris on March 14th, 2007 4:17 pm

thank you for the information. Actually I’am waiting for a translation in my own language which I’ll understand better, but I’m afraid I have to wait too long. Perhaps I’ll consider to buy his books in English… It’s so interesting.
    With love,
    Chris

9. gryphonastrology on March 15th, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Chris,

Your English certainly sounds good to me 🙂 John’s books seem to be translated when people get around to it, so one might have to wait a while.

Warmly,

10. Herman Van Roey on March 17th, 2007 3:43 am

Hi Chris, Nina!
    JF explained the 6th house being the Joy of Mars in the following way (conference in Goirle, the Netherlands, last november): Mars is the will or the ability to do what must be done, and the 6th being the house of nastities and sickness (the sh*t Life throws at us (every) now and then) Mars can cleanly cut away here what has to be done with. No sentiment, no considerations, just cut the crap and throw out the garbage, ACTION! Mars has to be agressive from his own nature, and in the 6th house this becomes a positive thing.
    I hope this explains it a bit (did it for me!)
    🙂
    Herman

11. Chris on March 22nd, 2007 2:16 pm

hi Herman,
    thank you for the information, it really makes sense and I understand why Mars is in its joy in the 6th hourse.
    Love, Chris

12. tribe.net: gryphonastrology.com on July 19th, 2009 8:51 am

7 Deadly Sins, to Nexus…

Nexus,

You asked:
    "Which sin would you assign to each planet?"

This is……