Planets in Your Horoscope: Mercury in Pisces

January 31, 2007 by

The Messenger

Mercury enters Pisces on February 2, 2007

Mercury entering Pisces is one of those run-for-the-hills combinations. In Pisces, Mercury is both in its detriment and in its fall, so it is doubly debilitated. Mercury is very strong in the opposite sign of Virgo, where it is both exalted and in its own sign. Therefore, it will be very weak in Pisces. Pisces is an amorphous, fertile sign, which is antithetical to Mercury’s logical nature. Also, Jupiter is such an expansive sign, that Mercury is quite lost in the signs ruled by Jupiter (Mercury is also in its detriment in Jupiter’s other sign, Sagittarius). Mercury in Pisces is something like electing an accountant to be pope. It just wouldn’t work.

If Mercury is in Pisces in your natal chart, you’re about to have a Mercury return. Let me know if this coincides with anything interesting happening for you. I have not yet observed Mercury returns to be powerful in my own chart, or those of my clients, but I am always open to new information. Mercury is not well placed in Pisces natally, but it does not necessarily doom you to a life of inarticulate expression, despite what a few ancient astrologers say. Hopefully, Mercury is aspected by a strong planet or conjunct a strong fixed star, to help pull it out of the soup.

If Mercury rules an important house in your natal chart, Mercury’s passage to Pisces would be a good time not do anything related to that house. If Mercury rules your second house of money, this is probably not the time to invest, but you may be stuck with doing your taxes since it is that time of the year. If that is the case, have somebody else do your taxes. Somebody whose second house is not ruled by Mercury, preferably. All you will have to do is sign on the dotted line, and even with Mercury misbehaving, that should not be too problematic.

Comments

20 Responses to “Planets in Your Horoscope: Mercury in Pisces”

1. lisa on January 31st, 2007 8:55 pm

I have Mercury in Pisces in my third house conjunct Venus (Aquarius on the cusp) and I have been watching Venus and Mercury both approach for my Venus & Mercury returns with interest. I have had Uranus visiting for a while now, combined with a Saturn transit of my eighth house and let’s not forget Pluto crossing my Ascendant a few years ago (ugh) eclipses, nodal returns etc.

Transiting Jupiter is conjunct my Sag Ascendant (which feels delicious compared to Pluto) and sits in H9 natally. Transiting Saturn is conjuncting my H9 Jupiter from H8.

I’m not an Astrologer but I think these things tie in with the fact that I am departing for Puerto Vallarta Mexico with my children & husband by Airplane Feb. 2 to attend my Cousin’s wedding (Feb. 3) which will be a fairly upscale event (Leo H9 cusp, can you say travel like Rock Stars with children?), oh & I cashed out a legacy which I had invested from my Mom’s side of the family (my Grandfather) to pay for the trip.

I think these are related but I know that I have much to learn about Astrology.

I’m concerned that you warn against doing Mercury things right now, because I am not knowlegable enough about astrology to see potential danger in my upcoming trip.

Also during this Uranus transit I launched an internet business which is doing okay and I’m kind of hoping that this Venus Mercury return will herald a new cycle of communication for me and my relationships (let’s just say communication has been difficult for the past oh…few years.

My birth data is 3/22/1968 23:50 Chicago IL

I agree that Mercury in Pisces has it’s moments, I’m kind of a space case at times but I’m very creative. I write Poetry and song lyrics and am a visual artist.

BTW I discovered your blog only recently, but I really enjoy it. You write about interesting things in a down to earth style, and your blog is visually appealing as well.

2. Nicole on February 1st, 2007 11:22 am

I have MercuryRx @ 24 dgrees Pisces in my 5th house. I also have Venus @ 14 degrees in the 5th, as well as my Sun @ 21 degrees Pisces in the same house. I am about to experince my Venus Return, and not to mention my Mras return[remember I have Mars/N.Node in Capricorn in the third] transiting Ceres/Uranus are now in my 5th. I wonder if I may be pregnant?Mercury rules my 9th house, and my 12th. Venus rules my 8th, and my first, and mars rules my 7th.

3. Julia on February 1st, 2007 1:38 pm

Hello,
    I am receiving a living, breathing education in Mercury in Pisces: my son is now 7 and will be having a Mercury return. Venus is already there, I believe, so the fantasy, procrastination, spaciness, and waterworks should be off the scale! In general I have noticed that he has a superb imagination – often fantasizing and play acting when he should be concentrating on something else – like getting dressed and brushing his teeth – and that he has a great deal of trouble with logical thinking and ordinary, everyday kinds of tasks. He is wonderful creating creatures w/ Legos, but when it comes to coordinated writing and reading…. well, let’s just say we have a long way to go, and another parent/teacher conference to attend. He is very talkative and verbal though. His Mercury is in the 3rd, and he is quite fumble fingered when it comes to tying shoes, buttoning buttons, using utensils, etc. Many of his peers whiz through such tasks. Hand/eye coordination is not good either, for things like hitting a ball. He swims like a fish though, and loves the water. Before he was born, I had never really understood that Mercury can manifest in such physical ways.

Julia

4. gryphonastrology on February 2nd, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi Lori,

Mercury conj Venus in Pisces, eh? Well, the 12th house is the malefic house of self-undoing, but that exalted Venus likely saves the day. Hopefully Jupiter, the dispositor of this whole thing (and your Lord of the Asc) is well-placed in your chart.

Are you musical or artistic at all, btw?

Warmly,

5. gryphonastrology on February 2nd, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi Julia,

Yes, I can totally relate. I have Merc in Pisces myself, and was a lot like your description of your son, and until Merc went direct by secondary progression in my teens, I was totally unathletic. Now I do sports or exercise every day, and I cannot imagine being otherwise. So there is hope for your little guy when his Mercury goes direct! πŸ™‚

Warmly,

6. gryphonastrology on February 2nd, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi Nicole,

I don’t know if you are pregnant (there are cheaper ways to find out than asking an astrologer), but you do have a very creative 5th house. Hopefully you are putting it to good use!

Warmly,

7. gryphonastrology on February 2nd, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi Lisa,

I imagine that Jupiter in the 9H makes your long journeys safe, prosperous and happy (and yes, somewhat Rock Star-like!). I wouldn’t worry too much about Mercury disrupting your plans. If you are really worried, though, just wait until it rxs back into Aquarius, and then go on your trip (if you have that flexibility) – it’s stronger there than in Pisces.

Warmly,

8. Nicole on February 2nd, 2007 4:17 pm

LOL..Thank you Nina! Well last night, it was confirmed. I am in fact pregnant. I have been writing alot more, drawing, and sculpting, so I am putting that 5th house to good use!

9. ambar on February 4th, 2007 2:40 am

Dear Nina,

Lovely and intriguing website!! I also have Mercury in Pisces in the 5th house making a trine to Moon in Scorpio in the 2nd, also, Merc is inconjunct a jupiter-saturn conjunction in libra, which is conjunct my ascendant…I have Merc at 7 degrees so I think it is close to my Part of Fortune, which is 3 Pisces. I’m not sure how all that plays out, but I am artistic…a musician actually (flute), and I like to do some creative writing when my brain isn’t mired in crazy daydreams.

I am hugely into astrology, and someday want to study with an astrologist and perhaps, one day, have a horoscope column or something of the sort. The concept of horary astrology is currently a topic of interest for me, as is sidereal astrology. It’s always something. Anyway, again, great website, and I wish you the best!

-Ambar
    3.23.81; 6:42pm Culver City, CA

10. gryphonastrology on February 5th, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Ambar,

Thanks for visiting and for your kind wishes. Your PoF seems very well placed, especially for artistic pursuits – conjunct Mercury in the 5th seems very beneficial for a musician. And yes, with Mercury in Pisces, “it’s always something.”

Warmly,

11. Patricia on February 7th, 2007 9:30 pm

I have Mercury in Pisces (11th house) along with my Sun (11th), Mars (11th), and Saturn (6th), all opposing my Uranus and Pluto in Virgo. With these natal aspects I can tell you I’m never bored.
    Mercury in Pisces is a space-cadet placement, but what a boring place this world would be without it! Cold hard facts are fine in the lab, but the human experience is so much more than intellect! Virgo analysis takes things apart; Pisces is about synthesis – putting seemingly unrelated pieces together to form new ideas. Creative problem solving is so undervalued in our culture, yet every great invention springs from creative synthesis.

12. Loribeth on February 7th, 2007 9:55 pm

no Im not artistic…ya got me a little scared with the self undoing …I am unemployed and have no support emotional or other wise…I am running out of options could you explain this more?

13. Loribeth on February 7th, 2007 9:56 pm

..oh, sorry …and how in the heck will Venus saves the day?? I do not have any one in my life…family or otherwise…explain?

14. Raluca on February 27th, 2007 11:41 am

Hello…

I’ve got Mercury in Pisces in my 9’th House and it is also squared by Uranus ( Sag, 5’th House ). This is the only aspect it makes…oh, and a trine to the Ascendant in Cancer…but I don’t know if it helps him…I think that the Cancer Ascendant actually makes it worse…I am not only thinking in a very illogical way but am also shy and vulnerable and have no self confidence so I usually end up talking in an even more illogical way than I was thinking.
    And imagine I am studying Law. πŸ™‚ (Jupiter is also in Pisces in the 9’th House…luckily not conjunct to Mercury πŸ™‚ ) I just wanted to avoid…Maths πŸ™‚ and now I’m surrounded by Gemini and Libra people who keep talking for hours about…well…you know…highly abstract stuff. πŸ™‚ Sometimes I get so depressed… and I can cry for hours just because I didn’t express an idea like I wanted to (though others don’t seem to notice, maybe because I’m very pretty…I don’t know…My Moon is in Taurus conjunct with Venus, so this is the explanation, isn’t it ? πŸ™‚ )
    I tried to write poetry but I never find the right words…god, I become depressed once again. :(( πŸ™‚
    So, be happy that your Mercury in Pisces at least makes some good aspects…it can always be worse. Believe me. πŸ™‚

15. Raluca on February 28th, 2007 3:42 am

Oh, and Nina, you say that…
    “Mercury is not well placed in Pisces natally, but it does not necessarily doom you to a life of inarticulate expression, despite what a few ancient astrologers say. ”

Are you sure ? And how can you pull him out of the soup when he has no good aspect to a strong planet ? Can you ? And if you can not, is there actually anything you can do for a living and be good at without it? Because it seems to me that absolutely every job is connected to Mercury. Even modelling…because you have to walk on the stupid stage and if you can not coordinate your feet and are not able to walk on high heels, well, you can not be a model. ( It was just an example…It’s not a dream of mine or something like that. )

16. gryphonastrology on March 1st, 2007 5:36 am

Hi Raluca,

Yes, I am sure. I have Merc rx in Pisces conjunct a malefic, and even I am just about functional.

Warmly,

17. Raluca on March 1st, 2007 7:25 am

πŸ™‚ Nina, thank you…I’m sorry, I think I exaggerated a little. I’m also “functional” at times.

Well, you are doing pretty well writing this blog. πŸ™‚ So I just thought that if you can write these articles and all this stuff and be very convincing I could also do something mercurial, like debating legal issues…or anything. πŸ™‚ If you can do it, I can do it too, can’t I ?

So thank you for the encouragement and congrats for the blog !

18. gryphonastrology on March 1st, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi Raluca,

No offense taken. Let’s be honest – Mercury in Pisces is not going to win you a prize in accounting (maybe creative accounting), but lots of successful writers and such have had the placement. For me, both my day job and astrology are Mercurial pursuits, and I enjoy them. I do have Mercury angular, which makes me more interested in pursuing such hobbies and careers. So it can definitely work.

Warmly,

19. Quentin on March 10th, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey, i was reading about the mercury return…I was just wondering how would you know what effect it would have on you. Last year around mercury rx in pisces, i had a weird experience and it changed how my daily life went on, it has been associated with kundalini but im not sure. I have mercury in pisces in the 12th house and mercury sextile venus my sun is in last degrees of aquarius…i dont know what i’d need to know to figure it out?

20. Quentin on March 10th, 2007 7:48 pm

Oh yeah i’d like to add one thing, last year since it went rx in pisces i was thinkin it was makin me internalize everything i thought cause that was the basis of the whole year to the point i stopped having conversations with alot of people and i became more introspective, now that it goes to pisces then to aquarius would that make something different