Astrology & Compatibility: The Zodiac Signs
Love & Horoscope Compatibility
You probably already know that your zodiac sign is more compatible with some signs than with others. But do you know why this is? Also, did you know there are multiple layers of compatibility beyond just the zodiac signs? The Sun sign compatibility charts just barely scratch the surface.
Elemental Compatibility among the Zodiac Signs
Compatibility among the signs of the same element is the most simple level of astrological compatibility, and you will find many exceptions to the rule. I have noticed that relationships among people of the same element are often stronger, and have a better chance of lasting longer, than out-of-element relationships.
The Fire Signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
The Earth Signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
The Air Signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
The Water Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
A lesser, but still common indicator of compatibility are the similar-element levels of compatibility:
Water signs and Earth signs
Air signs and Fire signs
Lack of Compatibility among the Zodiac Signs
Based on the same elemental principles, we would not expect as much harmony between a water sign and fire sign (they are elemental opposites!), or between an air sign and earth sign.
There can also be difficulty among the signs in these groups:
Cardinal signs: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn. They are all “leader” signs, so they naturally want to run the show.
Fixed signs: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius. They are all fixed in place, so there is no one to prod them to change their position.
Mutable signs: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces. They are all changeable, so there is not enough stability to keep the relationship anchored and on track.
But (and this is important), there can be many successful relationships among people in the same group, such as two cardinal signs, or two fixed signs. There are two long-lived fixed sign marriages right on my block.
Deeper Levels of Compatibility among the Zodiac Signs
The real “glue” of relationships is more deeply ingrained in the two individuals’ natal horoscopes. These are a few of the combinations that make for lasting relationships:
- Sun of person A and Moon of person B in same element, especially if this goes both ways (e.g.: Libra Sun with Taurus Moon can be compatible with Virgo Sun and Gemini Moon).
- Sun of person A and Ascendant of person B is in the same sign (double points if this goes both ways.
- Important seventh house (the house of relationships) contacts. Example: Person A’s Sun is conjunct the other person’s Venus in the 7th, or their 7th house cusp.
- Compatibility of temperaments. This is an advanced technique that uses the whole horoscope to establish the person’s temperament, which can vary substantially from his or her Sun sign.
Other Important Considerations of Compatibility:
- If we are looking at two horoscopes for the possibility of marriage among the two people, we first must establish that the people in question will marry anyone at all! We also must examine the horoscopes for longevity; you can’t marry if you’re dead.
- The reality check: as finishing touches on our analysis, it helps to analyze the horoscope for each person’s attitude toward different issues. This will help us pinpoint in advance potential sources of conflict and disagreement.